Each year Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Badgerland Council offers a year-long community service patch program. This year, Inspiration Project is focused on getting girls to give back to their community!
This year Badgerland Girl Scouts, their troops, friends and families are encouraged to participate in a take action or community service project! This community service project will involve choosing an issue that you care about, finding an agency that is trying to make a difference and then volunteer your time to help. This is a great opportunity for girls to learn the benefits of community service and develop a lifelong passion for giving back to their community. A few examples of how the girls can be involved include:
- Discussing the needs of families who have loved ones at UW or Meriter Hospital and serving food at Ronald McDonald House.
- Caring for animals at a local Humane Society and making dog/cat treats or blankets for the kennels.
- Getting involved with the Senior Care center in your neighborhood and visiting with them during the holidays.
Don’t know where to start? Talk to family and friends about issues that are important, or head to your local library! We have partner organizations that are eager to help educate and empower you on your community service project. We are also building a website just for connecting with local community service agencies. Watch for the launch date of this website via Badgerland Banner and on the website.
The requirements of this patch are as follows:
- Discuss with your troop (or parent if you are an IRG) about issues that you care about. These may include things like homelessness, senior care, animals, cancer care and many others. Choose one issue your troop would like to work on.
- Find an organization near you that needs help with your issues. Talk to them about how you can help. Learn about what that organization does and why they do it.
- Do 10 hours of community service with that organization. Service can include making or collecting items, visiting residents (human and animals) or giving your time to help an organization.*
- Turn in the Inspiration Project Patch Report to get your patches.
If you are looking for a way to get more involved with community service, check out the Bronze, Silver or Gold Award or the Community Service Bars for Cadette, Senior and Ambassador Girl Scout in your Girl’s Guide to Girl Scouting.
For questions, please contact Eliza at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 800-236-2710 x 3030.
*Your project can be monetarily supported by donations of goods or services, through product sales or through approved extra fund raising activities. Please follow all Badgerland Council fund raising policies when working with a partner organization.
Download the Inspiration Project Patch Report
Return completed forms to:
Attn: Inspiration Project
1201 Big Hill Ct.
Beloit, WI 53511